Saturday, August 10, 2013

July 2013 - The Links at Bodega Harbour

We drive to see our NoCal kids and grandkids several times a year.  Rather than drive the entire 12 to 14 hours in one day, as we mostly do, we have decided to break up the trip and golf on the way up our beautiful state.  If we leave super early in the morning, we are usually in or past the Bay Area by lunchtime - plenty of time for golf in the summer.

This trip we decided to go off the beaten path and stay in Bodega Bay.  As is the case in most northern California coastal venues, especially in the summer, the weather is unpredictable.  It was a chilly and gray day, which only added to the feeling of this links-style but very hilly course.  The Links at Bodega Harbour 

Golf Cart Art
Overlooking Bodega Bay in all its gloomy glory.
The course was fairly well maintained, and it was, for both of us, a difficult course.  Although the fairways were wide, if your ball didn't make them, as is true for the other links-style course(s) I've played, you're in a world of hurt.  My "worst" shot was one that took me to the very edge of a steep incline.  I literally had to choke down the club to the bottom of the grip, and prayed that when I took my teeny-tiny swing I wouldn't topple backwards down the hill into the bunker below, as my feet were on the downhill side and the ball waist-high.  Luckily that didn't happen, but I didn't hit the ball very far.  




The homes surrounding the course are close by, but not so close that I ever worried about breaking a window.  It was such a gloomy day, that I wondered what it would be like to sit at the window of one of these weathered homes and sip a cup of tea by the fire, looking out over the bay.

There was so much elevation and so much trouble to get into, but we still had a great time and felt that we may come back and visit the course again. 

As I'm not yet quite back in the swing of things, I didn't keep my scorecard, so I don't remember what I shot, but I can guarantee you that it isn't a score I would be proud to post.   

Chilly from the weather, Stan and I drove the coast, looking for a restaurant.  We found Lucas Wharf Restaurant and Bar, right at the wharf.  Lucas Wharf Restaurant and Bar  I started with a Moscow Mule.  Even though it didn't come in the usual copper mug, it was a good and refreshing drink after hiking up the hills of the golf course.  The soup and salad I had were specials that night.  The tomato soup was spectacularly good, just the right amount of tang with a drizzle of basil oil on top.  I had an arugula salad topped with grilled salmon (oops, forgot the photo) which was also delicious.  Stan had fish and chips, which he liked. 



We stayed at an inn, the name of which I can't recall.  That can only mean (and it does) that the place was forgettable, so no further mention of it here.  

A short six hour drive to Eureka the next morning, and we were hugging our delicious grandchildren.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment