Friday, September 27, 2013

Three Week Road Trip - Fifth Leg at Richland, WA, September 27, 2013

This will be a shorty, for a couple of reasons.  The drive was basically a repeat of the Columbia River Gorge and a fairly boring ride into Washington State, where, once we crossed the state line, it promptly proceeded to rain.  Golf was definitely a question mark.  And I'm tired.

We got to Carolyn and Scott in time for lunch.  We ate at Shari's, a chain of Denny's-type coffee shops.  Shari's  True to form, I forgot to take pictures.  I had quiche with salad, Stan had a burger (new?).  Carolyn had a cuban sandwich and Scott a reuben.  It was fine food.  It would keep us from starving.

We were already dressed for golf.  Carolyn would ride with me as her arm wasn't ready due to a break she suffered last summer.  The weather was very cloudy and windy, and we hoped that it would hold.  

We went to Columbia Point Golf Club in Richland, WA.  Columbia Point Golf Club  What beautiful and deep green fairways, which were wide with few trees and some water.  I'm certainly no expert, but it seemed like a hybrid of a traditional and links course.  A fair amount of elevation and "moguls," as Stan calls them made the course challenging, but it wasn't that difficult to play...until the rain hit.



Brothers-in-law on the tee at #1


I have never used my golf umbrella to play golf, until today.  I was doing fairly well on the front nine, and the rain was falling.  Harder and harder, until, after shooting a 52 on the front nine and finishing the 10th hole, I called it quits.  I was cold, wet and couldn't imagine going on.  I was not having fun.  I took the cart to the clubhouse where Carolyn was already waiting (she was smart and left after the 9th hole), and settled down to chat with her with a hot tea.  I was so much happier.  

Sisters waiting in the warm clubhouse.
The boys actually played the entire 18 holes.  It never stopped raining, and they never stopped playing.  Stan shot a 52 on the front and a 54 on the back for a 106.  Scott shot a 61 on the front and a 50 on the back for a 111.  They came back soaking wet.  All of our clubs are still drying out.  

Carolyn made a very good dinner, Caesar salad and ravioli stuffed with cheese and red peppers and topped with pesto.  Great red wine (Syrah) from the Walla Walla area (we're going there tomorrow!), and she let me do a load of laundry!  Thanks Carolyn!

Oh, and rain, rain...please go away!  It looks like the three week road trip will be abbreviated due to the weather.  Coeur d'Alene is already cancelled.  We'll see what we decide tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment